Friday, August 10, 2018

Cloud Mining Scam - Aurora




This has been on my draft since October 2017, making it a "Year Later" post. I've tried cloud mining and learned the hard way that it does not work and it is most likely a scam. That, or I'm didn't really know what I was doing at that time.

Here it goes:

This is a "One month later" post.

Of course, this started last October 20, 2017. Through mindless browsing, I got interested in cloud mining, specifically via Aurora.

What?!

A quick Wikipedia search would say that: Cloud Mining is the process of bitcoin mining utilizing a remote datacenter with shared processing power. This type of cloud mining enables users to mine bitcoins or alternative cryptocurrencies without managing the hardware. Since Cloud Mining is provided as a service there is generally some cost and this can result in lower returns for the miner. There are many cloud mining scams.

Huh?!

I don't know if I have a dumb moment a month ago but I did try. In my own understanding, much like an investment, I let go of my PHP500 hoping that after a month, I would get a much higher return on investment. Cross fingers.

First, I created a Coins.ph account, and loaded PHP500 via 7-11. This would serve as my bitcoin wallet.
Damage: PHP510 (PHP10 for payment service fee)

Then, I created an Aurora account. This was my chosen cloud mining site. I purchased PHP400 worth of hashpower which made my hashpower from the free 100 GH/s to 658 GH/s.
Damage: PHP415.56

Day 0, technically October 21, 2017. Before I went to bed, here are my stats:

Total earned balance: 0.10 USD
Daily earnings: 0.90 USD
Weekly earnings: 6.32 USD
Monthly earnings: 27.47 USD
Total hashpower: 658 GH/s
Earned ref-hashpower: 0 GH/s
Total withdrawn: 0.00 USD

Wait, there's more. In an act of greater stupidity, I created another account. LOL. This time, no purchasing of hash power. I just want to have a comparison on the difference buying hashpower would make.

Here's the stats of my free account which is created almost 3 hours after my first one:

Total earned balance: 0.00 USD
Daily earnings: 0.14 USD
Weekly earnings: 0.96 USD
Monthly earnings: 4.19 USD
Total hashpower: 100 GH/s
Earned ref-hashpower: 0 GH/s
Total withdrawn: 0.00 USD

Will update after a week. Goodluck to me!

I never reached that week. It looked promising for the first few days and I really restrained myself from investing more. Thank you, willpower. Aurora disappeared into nowhere along with my PHP415.56. Even though deep inside I know that it would not work, at least the experience gave me a first hand look on such modus operandi and it made me value my hard earned money even more. I'm pretty sure that there legit sites out there and I'm just one of those who didn't review his homework first, but never again.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind! :P