Saturday, October 21, 2017

Secured Credit Cards - BPI Express Start No More.



3 months of no posts. Sorry, I have been busy with Netflix lately and Game of Thrones season 7 really sucked that I didn't post my spoilers (will blog about that later though. :)

Anyway, looking back at my posts here and here, I'm surprised to know that it has been more than a year since I availed of this program from BPI.

My BPI secured credit card started February 2016. With a hold out amount of 100k, I was given a gold mastercard, which at that time only sole purpose is to secure myself a 3 year multiple entry visa to South Korea. Fast forward 1 year and 8 months later, I'm glad to blog about that it is already a regular credit card! Yey!

It happened September 2017. Ideally, you should wait for at least a year to have your hold amount be released and your card to be reviewed for retention. I believe a year is enough for BPI to review your credit card usage and payment history for them to deem you worthy of a regular credit card. Through unavoidable circumstances, I waited another 6 months to have my funds be released.

Here's my profile:

- BPO employee for 5 years at the time of request
- 50% credit limit monthly usage
- Full and on time payment history
- Zero balance at the time of request

My hang ups:

- Nature of employment - there's always this stigma of BPO employees not having a stable work tenure
- Annual salary - I would not disclose but I believe I do not meet the requirements of a gold card
- Horror stories I've read in forums on how hard it is to have your funds be released

Anyway, if I remember it accurately, I applied to have my funds be released and the card be retained last September 4, 2017. I went to my branch of account and brought along a valid ID, my latest ITR, three months payslip, three months statements of account from a non BPI credit card of at least 1 year, and a proof of billing. Yes, I am ready! LOL. A representative from my branch of account, Annapolis (which is a very lovely branch, and not a busy one) took all of the documents I have brought except for the proof of billing (which, later on would be a bad idea). I was given a form to fill up and sign, and... that's it. Very easy no? I was then told to wait at least a month although I conditioned my self to two months because of the horror stories.

Fast forward a week later, I was called by the representative to submit a proof of billing. Wait, didn't I brought it along and was told that it wasn't needed? It took every bit of restraint and willpower I have not to lash out after hearing this. Since I was at their mercy, I just politely informed them that I will forward it to them the same day. At that time, I also received a letter dated September 8 from their credit department asking for the same document.I just took it as a positive thing that at least my request is being processed swiftly.

Fast forward another week later, I received another call from my branch of account happily informing me that my request for my funds be released and my card to be retained was approved! Yey! A bit of the downside, my credit limit was lowered to 55k but it's a no biggie for me. I'm just glad that a bank, particularly BPI, trusted me to handle a regular credit card.

See, no horror story. What a relief. I guess it varies from one branch to another. I'm just glad that my experience with BPI Express Start was a smooth one, and hopefully this post may help others in one way of another. :)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:54 AM

    Hi Nei, did you pay 1000 pesos termination fee for your bpi secured account?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for the late reply. No, I didn't pay anything. I believe you only pay for termination fee if its below the agreed hold time of your deposit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:39 PM

    nung date na nag request po kayo na ma release yung fubds ilang weeks bago sya na release? thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. How much is the hold out amount to get a gold secured card?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:59 PM

    Hi. May i know how much yung nakuha mo in total dun s 100k time deposit mo?

    ReplyDelete

Be kind! :P