Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Secured Credit Cards - My Journey to BPI Express Start



Aside from applying for RCBC's Instacard, I also applied for BPI's version of a secured credit card - BPI's Express Start.

Unlike RCBC's Instacard, BPI's Express Start can actually convert your secured credit card into a regular credit card after establishing yourself with good credit standing for a year or so.
Although your credit limit is only 80%-90% of your holdout amount versus RCBC's 100%, the prospect of having it converted into a regular credit card seals the deal for me.

So last February 25, I applied for a Blue Mastercard secured credit card. Initially I opted to place Php25,000 as my hold out amount. This amount would have my credit limit to Php20,000 or above. However, after reading something on the internet (which I would tell in the near future) made me change my mind and instead, I opted to place Php100,000 and request for a Gold Mastercard secured credit card.

Come March 10, 2016 (3 days after I received my first regular credit card from PNB), I received a text from BPI that my BPI Express Credit Card application was approved and the card should be delivered in 3-5 days time. I was not overly excited since I already have one regular credit card from PNB but nevertheless was happy as I will have a gold secured credit card with a higher credit limit.

March 11, 2016 - I got another text from BPI that my new card is on its way and I should expect 10 working days to arrive. Well, it arrived the same day but I was not at the office to receive it. Luckily the messenger left it to the guard to whom I left an autorization letter. Good job, BPI! For now.

The thing is, I was really hoping for a gold one as it would serve a bigger purpose in the near future but when I checked my Express Online account, I was dismayed that BPI have only given a Blue Mastercard. I immediately went to the bank and asked why this was the case. Is this because I originally applied for a Blue Mastercard and when I decided to apply for a Gold, the representative who assisted me just whitemarked the check on the Blue tickbox and then check the Gold tickbox?  Not even the manager know why I was given a Blue Mastercard considering the hold out amount I placed. She guessed that in order for me to have the Gold Mastercard, I may have to increase my hold out amount to Php150,000. I told her that I initially read somewhere that Php50,000 was enough as a holdout amount for a gold card. She then escalated my case to her superiors and inform me that she would call me for an update.

March 12, 2016 - I decided to call 89-100 just to confirm what the minimum hold out for a Gold Mastercard should be. The representative I talked to informed me that a Php75,000 credit limit is enough for a gold Mastercard. Since I have a Php90,000 limit, he advised me to visit my branch of account and request for a conversion.

March 15, 2016 - Coming from a graveyard shift, I visited my branch of account and asked for a credit card conversion form, filled it up and was told to wait 3-5 business days to be processed.

Dang.

It's a waiting game again for now.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Hi Nei, have you heard back from BPI regarding your gold credit card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very sorry for the late reply. yes, and it has been a year na since then. quite happy with my experience with them. will plan on having my funds released this july and apply for card retention

      Delete

Be kind! :P